boot getchar (sys/arch/vax/boot/boot/consio.c)

In getchar(), in sys/arch/vax/boot/boot/consio.c, I see, in every
version I can find, from cvsweb's idea of -current clear back to what
it shows me for 1.1, and in my own source trees,

	if (c < 96 && c > 64)
		c += 32;

I'm interested in why those lines are there.  They are causing me
trouble in that they make it completely impossible to boot from a
kernel whose name contains an uppercase letter.  I can test-boot from
"fnord" instead of "netbsd" with "boot fnord -s".  But I can't boot
from "nbTEST", because the name turns into "nbtest" when I try to type
it.  (In case it matters, my use case is a KA630 serial console -
simulated, but that makes no difference to the code in question.)

*Someone* had to go to the trouble to write that - which says to me
that it's there for a reason - but didn't comment what that reason is
as far as I can tell.  I'm wondering what it'd break to simply remove
those two lines.  Unfortunately, the commit message doesn't tell me
anything because that code has been there since revision 1.1, in 1999.

Ragge?  That first commit was yours, if I'm reading cvsweb right....

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign