gcc-vax in NetBSD-9.0: help needed to test patches

Hi,

I've been working on fixing some of the problems in GCC 7's Vax back end in NetBSD 9.0 - adding support for c++ exceptions, fixing illegal instruction faults when compiling with -O2, that sort of thing.  This work is emphatically not to convert the Vax backend to MODE_CC but I'm hoping that it will help that effort by providing a working base to start from.

Testing so far has been to compile the source fragments from the PRs, cross-compile the entire NetBSD 9.0 release at -O2 and boot the resulting kernel, cross-compile gdb 8, compile gdb 6.6 natively, compile bash 3.2 natively and to compile tcsh 6.0.22 natively. Using John Klos's SimH images, pkgsrc has been bootstrapped using the amended GCC, and pkgsrc is working its way through Perl 5.30.2 with some success.

John has kindly offered to host the set of 10 patches (thanks John!) and they can be found at https://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jklos/vax/

I'd very much appreciate it if someone (or many someones) could try the changes out please.  I'm more than happy to give further details of what each one is supposed to be fixing.

To apply them, extract vax_gcc_patches.tar.gz somewhere convenient, move *.patch and patch.sh to the root of the NetBSD source tree, then run patch.sh

Many thanks

kalvis