Re: NetBSD -9 status update on vax hardware

I believe I read that someone had a similar issue and that it was eventually fixed... It'd be worthwhile to check the mailing list archives.

John

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020, George Harvey wrote:

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 20:53:20 +0100
From: George Harvey <fr30%dial.pipex.com@localhost>
To: sadness <vampire%ipv7.net@localhost>
Cc: port-vax%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: NetBSD -9 status update on vax hardware

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 23:39:33 +0100
sadness <vampire%ipv7.net@localhost> wrote:

Vax 4000/600 with 256Mb of memory: the loader from -9 cdrom goes
straight into a "machine check error", hadn't had any time to test any
other release or test the system with less memory.

Just for a data point: I was able to install NetBSD 8.0 on a 4000/500A
with 128MB RAM when I tried last year. However, I used the netboot
method, not a CDROM. Although the install completed, I was never able
to reliably boot from disk, the kernel would load but would then fail
to find my SCSI controller (a CQD-223/TM). Netbooting the kernel and
mounting root from the SCSI disk did work.

George