Re: Moving VAX into 21 century :-)

Den 2019-08-28 kl. 15:33, skrev Paul Koning:
On Aug 28, 2019, at 8:20 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 08:08:49PM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
The cleaner answer would be to do what Python does in a large number
of other places, which is to make some of the methods be available
or not depending on the environment.  Currently the math.xyz methods
that related to INF and NaN are not documented that way, but it seems
plausible enough that they could be.  And if so, the test suite would
simply deal with that as it deals with any other platform dependency.
It's hard to see it this way when there seems to be no other running
system in the world I could build Python on that doesn't support IEEE
math with INFs and NaNs.  I suppose it's (just barely) concievable
someone still has a 1990s S/390 out there running an AIX VM with hex
floating point only, but who believes Python would be buildable in that
environment?
There is a surprising number of newer architectures that don't do IEEE.  See https://gcc.gnu.org/backends.html, the column marked "I".  And then there is SPU, which has IEEE float format but no NaN or Inf.  These don't seem to be NetBSD platforms, admittedly.  But it doesn't appear to be true that "all modern CPUs do IEEE".

All these are microcontrollers (or similar) and not really relevant in this context.

-- R