Re: VAX backend

On Aug 26, 2019, at 3:50 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:

> On 2019-08-26 23:51, Chris Hanson wrote:
>> If you’re talking compiler back-ends anyway, what about adding VAX support to LLVM/clang? :)
>
> I shiver at the thought how slow that would be... :-)

I didn’t suggest *running* LLVM/clang on VAX. ;) That said I doubt LLVM/clang would be significantly slower than modern GCC.

The performance of modern GCC itself is the single biggest problem I encounter in using NetBSD on classic hardware. And of course building an older GCC on that hardware using modern GCC is going to be extra-painful…

  -- Chris