Re: Thoughts about a floating point exception fix

>>> What if we made sure all the soft-float stuff is in libm and
>>> compiled certain tools such as awk and selected pkgsrc packages to
>>> use software floating point?
>> Do you mean software VAX FP or software IEEE FP?
> I was thinking of VAX FP, but with software routines which would
> check for data that would trigger exceptions.

How does that differ from just using reserved operands (which the
hardware already knows how to fault on)?  Would the simulated FP
include things operationally like infinities or quiet NaNs (presumably
in the form of a subset of reserved operands)?  I don't see how else
software-simulated VAX FP would help.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign