Re: No kernel output on MicroVAX 3100-30

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 10:27:33AM +0200, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> >>Sounds rather like console output is directed somewhere else. Is
> >>this maybe a VAXstation originally?
> >No, this is an original MicroVAX 3100-30. The switch in rear does not
> >seem to affect console output and there is no framebuffer installed.
> >
> >If the console output would just be redirected somewhere else,
> >wouldn't the machine still successfully appear in network with
> >correctly configured rc.conf and ifconfig.le0 even without console
> >output?
> >
> In an ideal world yes.
>
> Can you get into the kernel debugger?  Esc-D on the console?

Can't get to kernel debugger with GENERIC. Also, /var/log untouched
suggests that the system never boots to a point where anything writing
a log could run.

However, I cross-built a kernel, commenting out most of the stuff
that's not present on this machine. It boots just fine. Here's the
config:

http://esp.iki.fi/netbsd-8.0-vax-kernel-TEST.txt

I can't pinpoint the exact cause.

As a side note, I couldn't remove lkkbd because then the kernel won't
build. Culprit is in dz_vsbus.c - cdevsw gets defined as extern const
struct only if NDZKBD is larger than zero. A couple of lines ahead
there's a bit of code with an amusing comment using dz_cdevsw
regardless of NDZKBD value, and if the system has no lkkbd configured,
linking fails. This probably counts as a bug.

-e