Re: Native builds?

On 2018-08-29 16:23, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 04:16:29PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Ah, sorry for my confusion about port maintaner. I don't remember seeing
anything from Matt in a while. Not sure if he is still doing work on this.

And looking at gcc in the NetBSD tree, that fix is not in there. In fact,
there is not even a ffssi2_internal. Only an ffssi2... So I'm wondering how
much behind we actually might be... :-/
But thanks for finding that one. I guess the answer is that we should update
gcc for vax, but how that is tracked, and done, I have no idea.

I wouldn't have too high hopes - last time I tried a new gcc on vax it
didn't build at all. But good if somebody else is doing fixes there now.

Ouch. That don't sound too promising.

We are at 6.4 in -current and 5.5 in netbsd-8 (for all architectures).

mrg is planing to update to the 7.x sometime in -current.

Yikes. Considering that officially they are at 8.2, and are working on the 9.0, we seem to be quite a lot behind then. But if there are fixes for VAX that are from only last year, that would imply that someone have been doing some work, and testing things, on newer gcc than we have. I would assume even gcc 8 then...?

Is there an easy way to spot vax specific changes that happened in newer
gccs upstream? Might be worth to try and port them, but the github
log viewer is not a good tool for that ;-)

I'm sortof getting curious about this. Starting by doing a cross build of the tools, so that I can play around some. And then trying to see if I can get that fix Poul dragged up adopted, and see where that leaves me.

  Johnny