Re: Help about installing NetBSD on a VAXstation 4000/90 (Cougar)

Den 2018-04-26 kl. 22:33, skrev Silas:
Terminal - you mean the graphic console?
Not sure if it actually works, I have only used the serial console on 4000/90.

No, I mean a VT 520 I have connected to the VAX serial console (I have some pictures of it).
Ok!  Hm, I get the feeling that the vax assumes the wrong console.
Booting from CD should work just fine.   Have to test it myself to see though. There is a switch on the machine to flip it into serial console mode, have you flipped that?

MOP booting should work just fine, I use it (almost) daily.
Not that I speak MOP but the above looks to me as if the vax is not receiving any MOP responses.
(...)
7.1.2 should work just fine.  I can test this myself when I get home in a week, currently out traveling.

I'm probably missing something.  What I did on the mopd server is:

   # cd /tftpboot/mop
   # wget ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.1.2/vax/installation/netboot/boot
   # mv boot boot.sys

[1] refers to I "boot.mop.gz" file that I couldn't find.  Is this the "boot" file above?

[1] https://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/netboot/mop.html

These instructions are quite correct, even somewhat ancient.
A few notes:
- No need to have the boot program converted to mop format, on (modern) NetBSD mopd will take care of that. - If you want to convert it to mop format, there is a command mopcopy that will do it for you.

Ensure that you have set the correct MAX accress in the lonk to the boot program.

-- Ragge