Re: NetBSD/vax - worth continuing?

Thanks Johnny for starting this discussion. I asked a similar question
on port-pmax some months ago and it obviously helped (together with
another lucky coincidence probably) to get enough attention to kick it
back to life somehow (at least my machine works now with -current...
special thanks to Nick :)).

My 2c:

> Oh, we notice. I've been trying to build packages (and fixing what I can,
> and even reporting fixes upstream) using the toolchain from NetBSD 6.1.5. It
> would be nice if someone who understood things could get gcc in to a working
> state, or if someone would get support for VAX in to clang / LLVM.

Keeping /vax alive is all about a healthy toolchain, that is also what
I understand. Fixing gcc would be good, but I could sleep better if
there was a real alternative (pcc?!?!) to become more independent from
the bothersome discussions about vax' future every few months (and
often enough, sorry, I have the impression it's started out of
frustration because someone has a problem with a specific machine, or
by people who do not even own a single vax). I would definitely do it
if I were a compiler guy; I am not (yet).
But could a bounty help if I started collecting for it? :)
We still have many machines and active users around, in contrast to
other ports (arm26?). And they can even be obtained (though for
exorbitant prices when looking at auctions).

BTW what happened to the pcc vax target? Ragge?
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2011/07/28/msg001066.html

> I've never seen any of my systems hang. Regardless of toolchain issues, the
> hardware has always been incredibly stable. Trying to build certain packages
> can cause a panic, but even then I've never seen a hang. Then again, all of
> my hardware are VAXstations (4000/30, /60, /90), so perhaps some driver for
> hardware in your 8650 is problematic.

My VAX machine park is not that large, but consists of many machines
relevant and obtainable for the "average" hobbyist: VS3100/76,
VS4000/60 and /96, V4000/200, VS3200 (yes), MV3400.
And there is SIMH.
My impression was that they all booted and were stable when I last
tested NetBSD 7, admittedly that there are problems with the
toolchain. If we manage to create momentum now, I will help as best I
can.

NetBSD seems to be the last remaining free, current OS for VAX, and
supports a wide range of different machines. There was even someone
who designed a TURBOchannel USB adapter which can be and is used in
the VAXstation 4000 (with TC adapter) lately... So to answer your
question: I think it is *worth continuing*.

Regards
Felix