Re: NetBSD/vax - worth continuing?

Hi.

On 2016-09-20 20:54, John Klos wrote:
Hi,

But it seems as if this is not worth doing anymore. NetBSD/vax does
not build natively, and have not done so for years. And noone seems to
even notice.

Oh, we notice. I've been trying to build packages (and fixing what I
can, and even reporting fixes upstream) using the toolchain from NetBSD
6.1.5. It would be nice if someone who understood things could get gcc
in to a working state, or if someone would get support for VAX in to
clang / LLVM.

Anything would be an improvement at this point. Like I said. Trying to run build.sh on current bombs out right away, even in simh, so anyone can reproduce this within seconds on a booted system.

Running on a real 8650, a "cvs update" on /usr/src nowadays take days,
and usually the machine hangs after about a day, because of some bugs
in the system which just seem to stop all I/O activity.

I've never seen any of my systems hang. Regardless of toolchain issues,
the hardware has always been incredibly stable. Trying to build certain
packages can cause a panic, but even then I've never seen a hang. Then
again, all of my hardware are VAXstations (4000/30, /60, /90), so
perhaps some driver for hardware in your 8650 is problematic.

The hardware is fine. It runs VMS and Ultrix without issues. And with NetBSD, I have had it stall as well as panic.

The latest attempt at checking things out last week, ended up with me
actually crashing into ddb (I lost what the error was).

Wait - there's a DDB for VAX?

Yes. Of course. And you get in there with <ESC> B unless my memory fails me. And of course, you drop in there on a panic...

It seems as if NetBSD/vax is actually dead. It just hasn't realized it
yet.

Just for a blast, I'm booting Ultrix on the 8650, to see what the
difference in speed will feel like. But I think I'm going to stop
trying to boot and run NetBSD on the 8650. I don't see the point anymore.

Is anyone actually trying to use NetBSD/vax at all? build.sh crashes
as on the first C-file it tries to compile, at this point.

NetBSD 6 is fine. Anything newer has the newer toolchain, and that
doesn't work at all. If we get to NetBSD 8 without a fix for VAX, then
it will be almost dead (or binary-only) because of that damned
toolchain. I wish I knew more about toolchains.

NetBSD 6 is not fine. It works better than current, but there are plenty of issues there too.

	Johnny