Re: 8650s, was Re: Some more patches for GCC on NetBSD/VAX coming soon...

On 2016-04-10 08:07, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 04/09/2016 11:01 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
    On this note, if you point me toward an 8650 (or any other large VAX)
I'll happily grab it and run it, at least periodically, at the Large
Scale Systems Museum. B-)

"Grab" is not a word I would use in the context of an 8650... :-)
Probably around 500 kilos or so, and a couple of large cabinets. It
requires 3 phase power, and the power system differs between US and
European models.

   It wouldn't be anywhere near the heaviest computer here. ;)

Fair enough. I still would not "grab" it. A truck with a lift is a requirement. And essentially a flat floor to roll the thing along.

That said, it's a fun machine. And we have a second one, but that one
have a few faulty power supplies...

   The schematics for those power supplies have been scanned, I think.

I can't remember seeing them anywhere. And refreshing my own memory, I actually don't think we have any power supply problem with the second machine (our power supply problems were with VAX 6400 machines). However, the main fan of our second 8650 is broken. It's a mechanical failure. The welding between the main shaft and the centrifugal fan itself has broken. Made a lot of noise when that happened. But if someone were a skilled welder it might be repairable. And then of course, our machines are 240/410V machines for 50 Hz. The third thing is that we don't have much memory for the second machine. Maybe 12 Meg or so...

(Do anyone have any 16M or 64M memory cards for an 86x0 machine that they would be willing to part with? :-) I know CHM seems to have some, but I doubt I can talk them out of it...)

	Johnny