Re: 8650s, was Re: Some more patches for GCC on NetBSD/VAX coming soon...

Den 2016-04-09 kl. 18:50, skrev Johnny Billquist:
On 2016-04-09 18:45, Anders Magnusson wrote:
On 2016-03-30 19:45, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 03/30/2016 09:17 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
And I suspect I might be the only remaining person keeping an 8650
alive
and running, so I can understand if it's not the default target, but
please keep it as an option to target these older machines as well. (I
have all instructions implemented in the hardware... :-) )

On this note, if you point me toward an 8650 (or any other large VAX)
I'll happily grab it and run it, at least periodically, at the Large
Scale Systems Museum. B-)

"Grab" is not a word I would use in the context of an 8650... :-)
Probably around 500 kilos or so, and a couple of large cabinets. It
requires 3 phase power, and the power system differs between US and
European models.

That said, it's a fun machine. And we have a second one, but that one
have a few faulty power supplies...
We managed to "burn" an 8650 once :-/
The cooling fans were run by 3-phase motors, and one we started had the
wrong order of the phases in the 3-phase plug, which caused the fans to
spin in the wrong direction.  It didn't take too many seconds before the
machine were overheated :-/

IIRC it was a card with ECL logic that failed.  We managed to get a new
one.

(I sortof remembered when you did that. :-) )
:-)

It's a lot of ECL in there. But there are air flow sensors and temp sensors which should have shut the machine down when you had the fan running backwards.
Yep, the temp sensors did shut the machine down, but it was too late.
I assume that the air flow were enough to not trigger the airflow sensors, but not enough to cool the machine down...

-- R