Re: VAX floating point formats & tuning GCC for CPU models (was Re: Some more patches for GCC...)

On 04/04/16 17:05, Felix Deichmann wrote:
Am 04.04.2016 um 17:58 schrieb Mouse:
[...] NetBSD on VAXen without FPA chips, [...]

I'm probably just exposing my ignorance, here, but, do such things
exist?

InfoServer 1000 for example. It seems to be based upon a CVAX 78034 CPU without the "floating-point accelerator" CFPA.

If you're going to count an Infoserver, then would you count the DECnis (which used a culled SOC that wasn't required to have working FP). I don't know what the PrintServers used. The VAX ARM only applies to a VAX. Anything else wasn't covered.

That said, I don't know whether any real VAX ever shipped without FP. The VAX-11/730 was, iirc, almost entirely implemented in microcode, so I guess you could re-write the microcode and dump the FP instructions. Not sure that would count as a VAX though ...

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
arcarlini%iee.org@localhost