Re: VAX floating point formats & tuning GCC for CPU models (was Re: Some more patches for GCC...)

On 2016-04-04 10:48, Johnny Billquist wrote:
On 2016-04-03 23:26, Jake Hamby wrote:

[...]

I'm more interested in correctness first, and then performance, but
the good news is that it's definitely not a moving target, and there
are only a limited number of optimizations worth pursuing. GCC has
builtin code to do basically the right thing if only we give it the
correct values for the relative costs of different kinds of
operations. In a way, the good news is that even the most complex VAX
isn't superscalar, so there's no need or benefit to writing an
instruction scheduler to try to keep the pipelines full by reordering
instructions. Most VAX CPUs are pipelined, but I suspect the most
benefits would come from trying to prefer certain forms of
instructions over others, which is where the relative cost tables come
in.

So I'll try to come up with a suitable benchmark program that runs a
representative set of microbenchmarks to calculate the basic ratios
that could be inserted into GCC in place of the hardcoded values that
are there now, and also try to figure out the rest of the bugs and
issues with the ELF symbol loading that all seems both confusing and
suboptimal right now. But I think I'm asking the right questions and
focused on the right things to speed up. There really isn't anything
horribly wrong with the current VAX backend except for the fact that
various bugs have crept in over the years as different parts of it
have been hacked on by different people who didn't quite understand
the implications on other parts of it.

All, all well and good. But before twiddling with floating point
formats, and other tuning, how about making gcc actually work? At the
moment, it crashes with internal error pretty early when trying to build
NetBSD.

Building natively, I should clarify.

	Johnny