Re: Some more patches for GCC on NetBSD/VAX coming soon...

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, Jake Hamby wrote:

> I'm looking at a few remaining issues in the recent update in
> NetBSD-current to GCC 5.3, which overall appears to be an improvement
> over 4.8.5. I dropped GCC-patches from the CC list because I don't think
> 98% of the subscribers to that list care about VAX, while I know that
> 100% of the subscribers to this one do. ;-)

 FWIW, it's not a matter of interest vs the lack of, as long as a port is
maintained.  The rule for gcc-patches is simple -- if you want anything
integrated upstream (which means the current development head, frozen
right now pending the upcoming 6.0 release), then you do need to post
there and get it approved.  Anything else is considered noise.  You can
ask for changes to be approved for release branches too, however normally
only regression fixes are allowed there and they need to go to head first
if applicable.

 You're free to decide if you want to discuss things (other than actual
patch proposals) on <gcc%gcc.gnu.org@localhost> though; the audience there almost
certainly guarantees more experience on the GCC side than here, so if you
seek advice on compiler rather than processor architecture peculiarities,
then your bets are better there.  Of course it won't hurt cc-ing port-vax
anyway, to combine experience. :)

  Maciej