Re: Larger memory option for VAXstations

On 2015-08-19 09:09, Felix Deichmann wrote:
Considering that the firmware can be loaded and flashed via MOP, this
doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem...

As I think it will be nearly impossible to find existing memory
modules for the desired 512 MB, you would also need to design and
solder your own modules. The largest common ones for VS4000 have 36
DRAM chips (18 on each side) in SOJ package, each chip being 4Mx1. You
could use existing modules and desolder all SOJ ICs and refit with
16Mx1. *IF* you can address the additional memory at all.

That don't make sense. 36 x 4mx1 would mean 32 megs of memory. My VX4000/90 have 128M of memory, and that was DEC original. So obviously DEC also made 16Mx1 based memory modules.

But for the eight 64 MB modules, you would now need a total of 288
16Mx1 DRAM chips for example (oops)... What are you willing to invest?
:)

For 512 meg, why not locate 64Mx1 memory chips? Or did those not exist?

	Johnny