re: perl fails to build on MIPS and VAX

> Use of uninitialized value in hash element at dist/Exporter/lib/Exporter.pm
> line 41.
> Bad symbol for hash at dist/Exporter/lib/Exporter.pm line 44.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
> Failed to build miniperl. Please run make minitest

i see this problem on sparc64 netbsd-6 as well.

i'm still investigating, but i thought i'd give an update on what i've
found so far.

summary:  it seems to be a compiler problem.

details:  building perl5.22 outside of pkgsrc with GCC 4.8 works.  this
is using "gcc -O", which means there are really two changes -- gcc45 -O2
vs gcc48 -O.  also, building perl5.22 inside pkgsrc with GCC 4.5 works
if you patch the Configure outputs to use "gcc -O0".

ie, either there's a bug in GCC 4.5 or a bug in GCC 4.5 -O2.  i'm still
waiting for more tests to determine which exactly is the problem.

i'm curious if others can replicate my results.

also, there's a fairly major problem with simply making perl depend
upon a newer GCC -- pkgsrc gcc depends upon perl.

ah, this may be a GCC 4.5 -O2 bug -- my test with just -O has just
gotten past the failure point.

.mrg.