QVSS wscons driver

I spent some of the Christmas break from work writing a wscons driver
for the QVSS (VCB01) video controller. qv.c in the NetBSD source tree
is ancient (from Ultrix?), so it was pretty much useless for anything
but a hardware reference. The video portion is based on the smg driver
and serial port/keyboard on the dz driver.

The board is split into two devices: wsdisplay attaches to qv for the
video portion and wskbd attaches to lkkbd attaches to qvaux for the
keyboard portion. The mouse is similar, but I don't have a DEC serial
mouse. You can see the boot messages below.

There are now 8 VTs, but the console is still on the KA650 console
serial port. Performance is about the same as a serial console.
Scrolling is especially slow. The smg frame buffer code is pretty much
unchanged. QVSS has a scan line map that can help with scrolling, but
this drivers does not take advantage of it.

There are some issues with the keyboard. VT switching works when I
press and hold the DO key followed by F1-F8, but the DO key also
generates output until I press Fn. Command F11 is supposed to drop to
the kernel debugger, but that doesn't work. What VAX hardware has good
wscons support? How much of the keyboard has been exercised?

Not sure if anybody else has the hardware to run it, but I can share.
It would be cool to get it into the NetBSD source tree, but it needs
some test and polish.

It may be academic now, but I have a few questions:

Are there schematics for this board? Google failed me here.

Is there a better manual than what is included in the MicroVAX II manuals?

I'm using this with a KA650 processor, does the KA650 support the
VCB01 as a console?  It doesn't do it automatically with what I have
here.

Regards,

-chuck

===========

NetBSD 6.1.3 (EROS) #130: Sat Jan  3 17:13:38 EST 2015
        chd%luna.chd@localhost-net:/usr/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/EROS
MicroVAX 3500/3600
total memory = 32708 KB
avail memory = 28828 KB
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: KA650, CVAX microcode rev 4 Firmware rev 83
lance at mainbus0 not configured
uba0 at mainbus0: Q22
uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at uda0: version 6 model 13
mscpbus0: DMA burst size set to 4
qe0 at uba0 csr 174440 vec 770 ipl 17: delqa, hardware address 08:00:2b:0e:24:7c
qvaux0 at uba0 csr 177240 vec 364 ipl 17
lkkbd0 at qvaux0 line 0
wskbd0 at lkkbd0 mux 1
lkms0 at qvaux0 line 1
wsmouse0 at lkms0 mux 0
qv0 at uba0 csr 177200 vec 360 ipl 17
wsdisplay0 at qv0 kbdmux 1
ra0 at mscpbus0 drive 0: RA90
ra1 at mscpbus0 drive 1: RA90
ra2 at mscpbus0 drive 2: RA90
ra3 at mscpbus0 drive 3: RA90
ra0: no disk label: size 19541339 sectors
ra1: no disk label: size 19541339 sectors
ra2: size 19541339 sectors
ra3: size 19541339 sectors
booted from type 96 unit 0 csr 0x20001920 adapter 20087800 slave 0
boot device: qe0
root on qe0
mountroot: trying nfs...
mountroot: trying ffs...
Supported file systems: umap tmpfs ptyfs procfs overlay null nfs mfs kernfs ffsc
no file system for qe0
cannot mount root, error = 79
root device (default qe0):