Re: Vax vs X11

On 12/18/2014 03:04 PM, Björn Johannesson wrote:
> I must say, wow - Xorg is really too heavy for old machines like this.
> It would be nice if there was a small MI "Xwsfb" server in tree (or pkgsrc)
> for use with old and slow machines like this. I remember using Xhpc on
> NetBSD/hpcsh several years ago and it was quite usable.
> Something like that would be great.

  I wonder if it might be practical to do a fork of the X11R4 or X11R5
code base.  They were both very lightweight and quick on VAX and early
Sun hardware, though R5 did add a little heft.

  I remember when R4 hit the streets; I downloaded it that very day and
built it on my VAXstation-II/GPX, the performance was like night and day
from R3 to R4.

                  -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3