DEQNA info

sys/dev/qbus/if_qe.c says, in part, even in -current according to
cvsweb,

        /*
         * How is the DEQNA turned in ALLMULTI mode???
         * Until someone tells me, fall back to PROMISC when more than
         * 12 ethernet addresses.
         */

I have a digital copy of EK-DEQNA-UG-001 from bitsavers which appears
to answer this question (though the wording of the first sentence is a
little confusing; I believe there is a "count" missing after the first
"byte"), which I quote here in case anyone wants to pick it up and do
something with it.  (I will, but not in any NetBSD version I expect
NetBSD to care about.)

4.3.3.2 Operating Condition Set-Up - When the byte exceeds 128 (177
octal), bits 06:00 of the byte count are used as control parameters,
and are interpreted as follows.

Bit           Definition

00            All Multicast. When set, enables the DEQNA to recognize
              any multicast address.

01            Promiscuous. When set, enables the DEQNA to recognize any
              destination address.

03:02         LED Value. These two bits cause the three LEDs on the
              DEQNA to turn off in the following sequence (all the LEDs
              are turned on at power-up and when boot/diagnostic code
              is loaded from the BD ROM).

              00        No effect.

              01        Turns off the first LED, indicating the DEQNA
                        self-test is running in the host.

              10        Turns off the second LED, indicating all
                        internal loopbacks appear to function
                        correctly.

              11        Turns off the third LED, indicating
                        externalloopback appears to function correctly.

06:04         Sanity Timer Time-Out Value.  [...[

It is not clear to me whether this is "of the byte count value in the
descriptor" or "of the actual count of bytes according to the
descriptor", since the buffer descriptor contains the *negated* byte
count.  If I had a MicroVAX-II in usable shape, I'd experiment with
this to find out, but, at the moment, I don't - they're still buried
from my move.

\ / Ribbon Campaign