Re: VS3100M76 - current

Johnny Billquist wrote:

> >>No need. I know it takes a long time. I've netbooted current on the 3600
> >>I mentioned a number of times.
> >> From start of booting until I get the login prompt that machine takes
> >>about 30 minutes.
> >>
> >>    Johnny
> >

> >Ok. ... and where we begin now? (hope to prevent silence this time).
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
> The problem you are observing is that things like newfs and tar crash
> with a signal 11.
> That is a real bug, and something that someone needs to look at. I do
> not have a machine to reproduce this on. If noone else have one, or the
> time to look at it right now, then it's not going to get fixed right now.
> The most important thing then is to file a bug so that this do not get
> forgotten.
>
> The second issue you are talking about is the slowness of current
> versions. That is not really a bug in the same sense (but it might still
> be a bug in the end). I, and others, are aware that performance sucks. I
> occasionally try to look at it, but don't really have time. Others
> occasionally look at it as well.
> You can definitely file a bug on that one as well, but who knows when or
> how it will be worked on.
>
> As for you specific machines and possible hardware problems. While it
> looks funny I have no idea if you actually have an issue there or not.
> I would start by checking those self test errors to see what they mean.
>
>       Johnny

You are right Johnny.
I don't have a single application where I need to run those machines with
NetBSD, the only thing I want is to run NetBSD.
We are here on the ports-vax mailing list from NetBSD, I think that is the
Place where the developers communicate for that port and when I get no
resonance here for fixing that bugs, then simply no one needs it, right?
I've already asked Martin in the past if I should send him the M38 for
debugging purposes, but sending them to you ot overseas where a little bit
expensive..
I don't need it back. I've bought 3 VS3100 from Ebay with some terminals and
a DECServer 300 (or, so, MC68000 in there) for 100 Euros. The machines
where yellow from tabac tar, cleaned and repaired 2 of them and gave the 3rd
one to a friend. ( Even this one is still available if needed, it was a 2nd
M38) If I can help with that thing that NetBSD-vax isn't dying then that is
a good thing. I know, the machines are slow and nobody is really wanting
them, My VS4000/90 would be a completly different case, I know about this.

The slowness of booting IS a bug in my eyes, there MUST be something wrong.
The sum of needed time for decompressing a kernel and loading it over
network or from CD is much much smaller as the time ithat is takes
actually. Maybe it is broken by the design od the actual loader, may be..

For sure I can file bug reports, but since nobody has a machine like mine,
who will ever fix that?

So I think it is the better way if you all with your knowledge about VAXes
telling me where I have to look for what. I'll happyly test and report bak
if I have the time. I don't want that you should fix that for me, I want to
help only.

BTW: OpenBSD is still running on that machines and it still uses a driver
called si0 like the 1.5 or 1.6 NetBSDs. Is that a hint?

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info%tsht.de@localhost, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741