(Again) Suitable NetBSD versions for slower VAXen - Re: VS3100M76 - current

On 22/05/14 12:51 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
On 2014-05-22 18:35, Holm Tiffe wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:

On 2014-05-22 17:54, Holm Tiffe wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:
That booting is really (really!) dog slow. It takes 15-20 minutes at
least
where 1.5.3 is up in a minute or two or so..

I bet there are several factors, but the unzipping is most of it, I
think.
If I remember right, the spinner moves once for every block read (or n
blocks). But the unpacking and moving around will not move the spinner,
which is a data point here.

The first time it is spinning faster and then it slows down.
Like a buffer that is read in and then decompressed as block.
Every next block that get read in has an extra handling or so.
This is how it looks. Nevertheless it takes much much to long.

Agree. Lots of things nowadays are way too slow on a VAX. You'll see the
difference once you get current running. 1.5 just flies by...

This is exactly what I want to know, because I have MicroVAX II's here and am trying to get a handle on what is realistic to run on them.

Currently I netboot 1.4.1. Should I just forget about anything > 1.5?

--Toby