Re: [holm%freibergnet.de@localhost: Re: Which NetBSD on a VS3176?]

Charles Dickman wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Holm Tiffe <holm%freibergnet.de@localhost>
> wrote:
>
> > Martin Husemann wrote:

> >> This is just the INSTALL kernel (which comes with a pretty huge install
> >> filesystem as a ramdisk) not fitting into you RAM.

> boot device: <unknown>
> md0: internal 1664 KB image area
> root on md0a dumps on md0b
> root file system type: ffs
>
> Install file system from netboot install is only 1664KB.
>
> > Guys it seems that you all live with machines installed sometimes in the
> > past and then patched up to the actual release. This may work ok.
> > But has someone tried to install a machine from a release to a blank disk
> > in the near past?
>
> I mop booted and install NetBSD/vax 6.1.4 on a VS4000/60 recently. The
> boot host was NetBSD/i386 6.1.3. No special mopd was required.
>
> -chuck

Yes, but I have no other running NetBSD machine this time and I know that
FreeBSDs mopd isn't able to boot ELF files out of the box.
Someone ported an very old version to FreeBSD, I had to patch it for my
netboot experiments with that rtVAX. Besides of that we had diskussions
here about broken netbooting with mopd on NetBSD too (Matthew Whitehead,
Fri, 3 Jan 2014, Netboot on Vax).
This list was full of reports from my person whats going wrong with
installing VS4000/90, and the M38 + M76 in march, april last year.

Now I have decided to try again but not that much ha changed.
Eighter you guys have to change the website to state that those VaxStations
aren't supported anymore (ok, running NetBSD may be but installing isn't
supported) or you really have something todo.

The M38 has 24MB memory, should I try to install there? I'm pretty sure
it is bailing out on that machine too.

I trust you all that running NetBSD on that machines isn't the problem,
but someone really has to try to install a supported "Install media" before
one can call an OS supported on a machine I think.

Martin wrote last year:

"Heh, I'm still hoping other VS3100 owners around here would raise their
voice and report from their own testing.

Martin"

Sorry, that seems not to happen at all.

Regards,

Holm