Re: Which NetBSD on a VS3176?

Hans Rosenfeld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 06:14:03PM +0200, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > from time to time it happens that I want to try if it is possible to
> > install NetBSD on one of max VAXStations.
> >
> > Since here where some rumors lately that some Bugs are fixed now,
> > I've pulled a 6.1.4 iso image and tried to install:

> >  VMS/VMB  ULTRIX    ADDR    DEVTYP  NUMBYTES  RM/FX  WP  DEVNAM  REV
> >  -------  ------  --------  ------  --------  -----  --  ------  ---
> >  ESA0     SE0     08-00-2B-23-C2-5A
> >
> >  DKA200   RZ2     A/2/0/00  DISK     1.05 GB   FX        RZ26L  440C
> >  DKA400   RZ4     A/4/0/00  DISK     40.2 MB   FX        DCAS-34S65A
> >  DKA500   RZ5     A/5/0/00  RODISK    171 MB   RM        CD-ROM 0167
> >  ...HostID....    A/6       INITR
> >
> >  ...HostID....    B/6       INITR

> > -DKA500
> > getdisklabel: no disk label
> > nfs_open: must mount first.
> > open netbsd.vax: No such file or directory
> > > boot netbsd
> > getdisklabel: no disk label
> > nfs_open: must mount first.
> > 3109016|
> >
> > Here the spinner stops and nothing other happens.
>
> Looks like the boot loader overwrote itself with the kernel image. Do you
> use the mop boot from 6.1.4? Maybe the load address for boot needs to be
> bumped again.
>

> Hans
>

> --
> %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown

No, this time this was a CD boot.
The last time I tried netbooting 6.1 prerelease in april last year.
I was unable to install NetBSD to that time too, several problems with
disklabel and illegal intruction faults where problems to that time.
Thats th cause why I ask wich version is known to boot on the VS3100
M76 or M38. I've tried 3 machines last year, the two 3100 and a 4000/90
and on none of them NetBSD VAX was working as expected.

To try netbooting I have to patch the mopd on my 64Bit FreeBSD first or use
the old machine from last year..

Regards,

Holm

  www.tsht.de, info%tsht.de@localhost, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741