Re: Installer questions

On 26 June 2012 00:09, Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hello!
> What finally happened regarding the Installer on the latest release of
> NetBSD/VAX, that is installing it on SIMH/VAX? Earlier this year I
> tried to follow the installer steps as described on the NetBSD
> website, and this was on the soon to be released SIMH-3.90 release.
> (Soon to be released in that case, as it happens it has been
> released.)
>
> I first tried to install the OS via the CD. No such luck, the
> installer couldn't figure out how to make use of the CD (Actually an
> ISO presenting itself as one.). I then tried to install the OS via
> fetching things across the Internet directly from the site. Well that
> worked, even the fun part of laying out the disk and even the means of
> setting up the network worked for that. However when it fetched the
> first few sets it kept crashing. I brought this to the attention of
> the SIMH gang, and they not surprising felt I should bring things up
> to the people here.
>
> So group has this been resolved? And what has happened?

"Funny you should mention that" :)

I've just spent a little time over the last week primarily looking at
installing NetBSD/vax in simh.

NetBSD/vax BETA6 installs fine, providing you override the CD device to ra1a.
NetBSD/vax current had some issues related to using gcc 4.5, which has
now been reverted to the same gcc 4.1 used by netbsd-6.

current has also introduced racd* devices, so a current build should
also pickup default to the first simh CD image automatically.

Could you try either a NetBSD-6 build, or a current build from ideally
tomorrow or later and see if you see the same issues?