Re: VAXstation 4000/90 - ssh & display oddities

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Dave McGuire
<mcguire%neurotica.com@localhost> wrote:
> On 04/26/2012 02:18 PM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> BTW: That person also owns a Symetrix 375. A NS32k machine running
>> 4.2BSD build by Jolitz & Jolitz...
>
>  Wow, THERE'S a blast from the past!
>
>            -Dave
>
> --
> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
> New Kensington, PA

Hello!
I recognize the processor. The NS32K was a processor built by the
(late) National Semiconductor, that was loosely based on a design
created by WE (Western Electric)/Lucent/AT&T at about the same time.
But not the firm who wrote that port.

Interestingly enough the firm, (The phone company) originally built
that processor for the computers that spent their days running the
switches that presented us with the means of calling our friends and
families. In fact there was a whole series of them leading up to that
design.

Sadly all of these designs never went very far.

And I am not sure what AT&T did to convince UNIX to work under those
means and methods. I think there was a discussion on the TUHS list a
while back which described what did happen, and then pointed to the
Wiki pages on it.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8%gmail.com@localhost