Re: VAX station 4000 boot disk

On 02/15/2012 09:35 AM, Hans Rosenfeld wrote:
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:13:40AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
It seems the disk in my VS 4000 has died - it does an endless loop of

-DK0:
   83 SYS BOOT

-DK0:
   83 SYS BOOT

The machine next to the vax is so loud I can't clearly tell wether the
disk spins up, but it takes a noticable delay in "show dev" untill it
prints the identification.

Now what do I replace it with - are there any ROM limitations I should know
about? Can I likely boot from a flash card connected via a SCSI<->CF
adaptor?
IIRC the ROM limitations existed only on older 3100 VAXen. My 4k90
detects its 18GB disk correctly and never had any problems with it.
It may have to do with firmware version also.  Firmware update was
available at gatekeeper? IIRC. I have had it somewhere but cannot
find it right now.

// Ragge