Re: perl 5.14.2 and -g on VAX

> Now for the strange part.  I tried compiling with symbols (-g), and
> it succeeded!  How, why, I have no idea.

> Does anyone know why compiling a binary with symbols would change it
> enough that one would dump core and the other wouldn't?

I suspect it's not the symbols that matter, but some quirk of
optimization that happens differently with and without -g.

Try using strip -g and see if that starts it coredumping again.  If
not, I don't think it's actually the symbols themselves.

You _might_ be able to tell something useful by building with
--save-temps and diffing the .s files, but I suspect that would produce
too much noise to be very useful.

\ / Ribbon Campaign