Re: DELQA (qe) breaking RLV12/RL02(rl) functionality

On 02/03/11 03:28, Scott G Taylor wrote:
I'm finding that I can't have both an RLV12 (RL02) controller and a DELQA
(non-turbo)
installed in my KA655 machine at the same time when running netbsd 5.1.

When both are installed, the DELQA runs fine.  However, access to the rl02
drives
results in blocks of zero (NULL) data... if it doesn't crash the kernel.

Removing the DELQA board results is a perfectly working RL02 controller and
drives.  I actually went through three RLV12 (M8061) boards before accidentally
discovering that the boards weren't actually bad.  I just can't have both the
RL02 drives and the DELQA in at the same time.

I have moved boards around, as well as swapped in multiple boards of each
type with no success.

Before I spout the stripped kernel config, dmesg, etc., is there anything
that I don't know about this controller combination and NetBSD 5.1?
Is anyone running RL02/RLV12(M8061) and DELQA(M7516-YM) boards
together on their QBUS VAX with NetBSD, and actually using the RL02?

That sounds very strange, and that kind of combo was not unusual in the past (although not with NetBSD I would guess).
A few things comes to mind:
I assume that the bus chain was kept intact as you added/removed cards and fooled around. You know that depending on which backplane you have, the bus might not run in a straight line.
Also, make sure that you don't have any conflicts for interrupt vectors.
The RLV12 sets the interrupt vector with jumpers. I can't remember for sure how the DELQA do, but I seem to remember it being fixed by a jumper or two on that one as well.

I don't know how good the RL device driver is, but there might be problems in there as well. I doubt it has been tested or exercised much... But if it works when the DELQA is removed, that would suggest the driver should be ok.

Feel free to post the dmesg. Maybe something will stand out.

My main suspect might be the interrupt vector, but I would have expected some error or warning message if we have a conflict...

        Johnny