Re: Lance ethernet not detected on VLC

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Berczi Gabor wrote:

Probably noone cares (well that's what I get from netbsd developers when I
bring up vax bugs:), but the kernel (5.1) does not detect the ethernet chipset
on my VLC if a UTP cable is plugged in before/during detection. It works if
plugged in afterwards, and it also works in SRM beforehand (nfs boot).

I just booted a 5.1 kernel on my VLC, and it had no problem detecting the Ethernet interface.

NetBSD 5.1 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Nov  7 13:38:37 MST 2010

mhitch%net4.msu.montana.edu@localhost:/home/mhitch/NetBSD-5/OBJ/vax/home/mhitch/NetBSD-5/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC
VAXstation 4000 VLC
total memory = 24188 KB
avail memory = 19968 KB
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: KA48, SOC, 6KB L1 cache
vsbus0 at mainbus0
vsbus0: 32K entry DMA SGMAP at PA 0x420000 (VA 0x80420000)
vsbus0: interrupt mask 0
le0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200e0000 vec 770 ipl 17 maskbit 1 buf 0x0-0xffff
le0: address 08:00:2b:23:05:a7
le0: 32 receive buffers, 8 transmit buffers

  My VLC doesn't have a UTP interface;  I'm using an AUI-UTP adapter.

I'm also booting from the disk, which would mean that the ROM console and the boot loader will not be touching the network device and possibly leaving it in a bad state. I might be able to try a network boot if I can
find a suitable server [the ones I've used in the past are not available
at the moment].

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant