Re: recent fixes for VAX

On May 5, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
I know that a great many VAX port problems were fixed recently, bringing NetBSD/vax back into the realm of usefulness. Did those fixes make it into the recent 5.0 release? Meaning, if I'm about to put together a VAX on which to run NetBSD, would I be better off starting with the 5.0 release, or -current?

As far as I know, all the recent fixes with the exception of the one I just committed yesterday should be in the 5.0 release. The one exception is the one that causes problems doing a native build (a couple of the toolchain groff programs get build with a bad relocation item, causing them to abort). Restarting the build (multiple times, unfortunately) would be sufficient to eventually finish a full build.

That last fix has now been pulled up into the netbsd-5 branch, so the next autobuild should have the bad relocation fixed.

[Note: I think that /usr/bin/troff in the NetBSD 5.0 release probably has the bad relocation problem as well, which will cause problems trying to build something that uses troff.]

Excellent, thanks for the info! Now I just have to choose a machine. I'm sorta torn between a 4000-90 (fast!) and a 4000VLC (tiny!). I'll probably go with the -90.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL