Port-vax archive

Re: NetBSD 5.0, netboot error: cannot mount root, error = 79

OK, so Martin Husemann kindly helped me fix this one.

I need to run a dhcp server (also on the i386 netbsd box serving the vax nfs
root) so that bootp could serve up the correct root. My /etc/dhcpd.conf file

# Setting DHCPD global parameters
allow unknown-clients;

ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

# Set parameters for the subnet.
subnet netmask {
        default-lease-time 604800;
        option subnet-mask;
        option domain-name-servers,;
        option domain-name "appsoftint.co.uk";
        option routers;

        host aleph {
                hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:34:4d:6f;
                option root-path "/export/aleph/root";

Of interest is the 'host aleph' section - aleph being the name of my vax,
with its' ethernet address and IP address to be assigned. The 'next-server'
entry points to my i386 netbsd box serving the nfs root partition from the
directory /export/aleph/root

Cheers, Mark.
Sent from the port-vax mailing list archive at Nabble.com.