Re: (native build & other issues - Was: xvfb not built on vax...)

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Johnny Billquist wrote:

    Some NetBSD users do not care about how long a vax takes
    to build NetBSD - why is that surprising? I think you'll
    find quite a few users on port-vax who really don't care
    about x86, or arm, or 3d graphics support for example.

You should perhaps differentiate between NetBSD users and NetBSD developers. That users don't care is no surprise, and I would not expect otherwise.
Developers on the other hand should atleast care a little.

        The logic still applies somewhat there. Should a developer
        working on embedded headless network appliances care at all
        about graphic console support?

    I would expect most people building NetBSD/vax for a headless
    system are going to skip building x11 altogether.

No. Why should they? All (well, most) X applications are still useable even if you don't have a frame buffer.

        Granted, but I would have expected a definite minority of
        NetBSD/vax usersto be running X apps on their vas and sending
        the display to a non vax box. I could well be underestimating the
        "because its there" factor :)

    As I understand ther are two issues:
    a) Some vax models seem to 'go to sleep' under load

Very deep sleep. As in stops altogether. Not sure if it's just some VAX models, or if it's just that some people haven't manage to reproduce the conditions.

        I'm pretty sure Matt and some of those who could track it down are
        not seeing it. Could you try to narrow down a sequence to
        reproduce it and then update http://wiki.netbsd.se/vax with
        the details and the machines (CPU/memory/disk/nfs? etc) on which
        you can reproduce? Then maybe if some others can try to see if
        they can duplicate and add their notes?

    b) Groff chokes building certain .ps files - I thought Brad had
       tracked that down to a hypot issue, what ever happened with
       that?

Very good question. I'd like to know as well.

        I think Brad is on the case on this again :)

    Could I suggest we need a central location to record the
    current state of NetBSD/vax, what people have found and/or
    are working on?

    Can people please take a look at http://wiki.netbsd.se/vax

    If you have even a little time and any interest in NetBSD/vax,
    take a couple of minutes to add something to that page, be
    it something you really want changed, some extra details
    on a problem, or some trick you've found to get it installed.

Maybe that would work. I don't know. But we could try...

        Lets give it a go  :)