Re: netbsd on vax 11/730; booting in sim

Jason Thorpe wrote:

On Jan 8, 2009, at 3:35 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

John Klos wrote:
Good to see some activity on the list. I may have to go up to my shop and pull the tarp off of my 11/750 all of this vaxen talk has got me thinking
of the good old days.
I might put the dust off an old 11/750 with an RP07 disk and see if
it works with 5.0... :-)
Yes, it's nice to see activity, plus it's nice to have NetBSD 5 working as well as it does.

??? What do you mean "well"? I thing I've said it a number of times by now. It don't. Atleast not on VAXen. And it hasn't been for a year and a half. Except nobody tries to test it, so nobody sees it.

...and apparently no one is trying to fix it (though there sure seems to be an awful lot of whining about it...)

Yep. I whine a lot. Noone else even seem to care.
I've dbugged and fixed things in the past, but some of the stuff I've fixed have even been removed recently, causing breakage again. I've become pretty disillusioned and disappointed latele, and lost most of my energy to try and fix anything around this. My personal view is that NetBSD have started to succumb to trying to become another Linux, and it just don't hold my interest. I've started to revert to VMS instead.

VAX users are the ones with the vested interest in fixing the problems. Perhaps some of them ought to step up and debug the issues so that NetBSD 5 can run well on the VAX.

True. But noone seems to. And the rest of NetBSD is running along a path that is more or less causing NetBSD/vax to be unusable anyway.
Maybe it's time to drop the VAX support?

        Johnny