Re: Problems building pkg_install on simh

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 06:54:28PM -0800, Gordon Zaft wrote:
>  I have a simh emulator with 4.0.1 installed and wanted to build
> pkgsrc stuff on it (bash, to start with).  When I tried to build bash
> it complained that my pkg_install was out of date, so I tried to build
> pkg_install, and got:
>
> diogenes# cd pkg_install
> diogenes# make
> sh: /usr/sbin/audit-packages: not found
> ===> Skipping vulnerability checks.
> WARNING: No /pkg-vulnerabilities file found.
> WARNING: To fix run: `/usr/sbin/download-vulnerability-list'.
> ===> Configuring for pkg_install-20081013
> => Configuring and building libnbcompat
> configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
>     If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
> configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
>

> So... is building pkgsrc native just hopelessly broken, or is there
> something else I should try?  Thanks for any help!

Something very strange is going on here. With simh and NetBSD/vax 4.0.1 I
got a little further trying to build pkg_install, but it bombed in a
similarly confusing way:

p.s. I've also noticed that when doing a CVS checkout on this vax it seemed
to be sending the contents of CVS files to the CVS server. Perhaps something
funny is going on with the file descriptors?

=> Modifying GNU configure scripts to avoid --recheck
=> Replacing config-guess with pkgsrc versions
=> Replacing config-sub with pkgsrc versions
=> Replacing install-sh with pkgsrc version
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking build system type... vax-unknown-netbsdelf4.0.1
checking host system type... vax--netbsdelf
checking for vax--netbsdelf-gcc... cc
checking for C compiler default output file name... ./configure.lineno:
ac_li\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
as_echo=$as_echo$as_echo$as_echo$as_echo$as_echo
as_echo=$as_echo$as_echo$as_echo$as_echo$as_echo$as_echo
if (test "X`printf %s $as_echo`" = "X$as_echo") 2>/dev/null; then
  as_echo=printf: not found
    export as_echo_n_body
    as_echo_n=sh: not found
./configure.lineno: /bin; FPATH=$PATH; sh -c :) >/dev/null 2>&1 && {
    (PATH=/bin:/bin; FPATH=$PATH; sh -c :) >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
      PATH_SEPARATOR=: not found
./configure.lineno:
upport unset when possible.
if ( (MAIL=60; unset MAIL) || exit) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  as_unset=unset
else
  as_unset=false
fi

# IFS
# We need space, tab and new line, in precisely that order.  Quoting is
# there to prevent editors from complaining about space-tab.
# (If _AS_PATH_WALK were called with IFS unset, it would disable word
# splitting by setting IFS to empty value.)
IFS=" ""        $as_nl"

# Find who we are.  Look in the path if we contain no directory separator.
case $0 in
  *[\\/]* ) as_myself=$0 ;;
  *) as_save_IFS=$IFS; IFS=$PATH_SEPARATOR
for as_dir in $PATH
do
  IFS=$as_save_IFS
  test -z "$as_dir" && as_dir=.
  test -r "$as_dir/$0" && as_myself=$as_dir/$0 && break
done
IFS=$as_save_IFS

     ;;
esac
# We did not find ourselves, most probably we were run as `sh COMMAND: not found
configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
configure: WARNING: invalid host type: $CC
configure: error: unrecognized option: -c
Try `./configure --help' for more information.