Re: Installing NetBSD on a MicroVax 3900

On Jun 6, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
I now have a MicroVax 3900. I have cleaned the dust out of the system, replaced the battery, and built a console cable. It works, and I can get to the chevron prompt. The machine has:
Now, here's my problem. I want to get an OS loaded on this machine. I have a friend that has a DEC CD boot server, and I can drive my system over there, hook it up, and probably get VMS installed - and I do plan to load VMS at some point. But, in the mean time, I would love to get NetBSD working on this. But... how to do it? In my previous experiments with my MicroVax II, I tried to install NetBSD from tape using the instructions in the FAQ. And I learned several things. Namely, that the TK50 is an incredibly slow device, and that NetBSD/VAX no longer has a working method of booting or installing from tape.

Well you just turn up everywhere nowadays, don't you Ian. ;) I agree with Jim's assertion that netbooting is probably your easiest option. It shouldn't give you any trouble.

Hey, are you gonna cut me those Apple ][ floppies? *poke* *prod* ;)

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL