Subject: Problem booting on Simh
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Williams <williams.dan@gmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/06/2007 11:01:31
I have cross-compiled NetBSD current for the Vax. Everything appears
to have worked but I cannot get the system to boot on Simh.  I do not
have a real vax here at the moment. I also do not have any network or
internet here so I cannot use mop.

When I boot with boot.fs as a floppy image I get :

-DUA3
  1..0..

>> NetBSD/vax boot [1.11 Tue Oct 31 09:37:57 UTC 2006] <<
>> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd.vax: No such file or directory
> boot netbsd
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd: No such file or directory
netbsd: boot failed: No such file or directory
> boot netbsd.gz
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
2534488read text

?06 HLT INST
        PC = 00000003

I get the same with a downloaded version of boot.fs from 1.6.

So I made a cd image using build-sh . When I try to boot with this I get :

DUB0
  1..0..

>> NetBSD/vax boot [1.11 Fri Jul  6 01:46:45 GMT 2007] <<
>> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd.vax: Device not configured
> boot netbsd
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd: Device not configured
netbsd: boot failed: Device not configured
> boot netbsd.gz
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd.gz: Device not configured
netbsd.gz: boot failed: Device not configured
> boot netbsd.old
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd.old: Device not configured
netbsd.old: boot failed: Device not configured
> boot gennetbsd
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open gennetbsd: Device not configured
gennetbsd: boot failed: Device not configured

Anyone got any ideas what I have done wrong. At first I though it
could be the Kernel but I didn't modify the GENERIC one I just used
it.
Also I am using the latest version of simh and it runs VMS fine. This
is the first time I have compiled  it myself so I could of done
something wrong.  I compiled again and got the same result.

The steps I took where :

./build.sh -m vax tools
./build.sh -u -m vax kernel=mykernel   I copied GENERIC to mykernel
./build.sh -U -u -m vax build
./build.sh -U -u -m vax release
./build.sh -U -u -m vax iso-image.

Thanks in Advance