Subject: Re: rescued microvax ii and cdc fsd disk yesterday
To: Kim Hawtin <kim.hawtin@adelaide.edu.au>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/01/2007 22:30:20
On Jul 1, 2007, at 5:52 PM, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> at which point i removed the rear plate and reseated every qbus card
> and socketed cable and now have have output on my terminal with
> 7..6..5..4..3..

   Most excellent.

> so i issued a boot, but i get a fail and retry ...
> need to figure out whats going on with the disk drive now =)

   Ok.  The drive is most certainly SMD.  What's the make and model
of the controller?  And are you sure the drive is cabled properly,
i.e. you've got a terminator on the command cable, etc?

> do earlier KA630's not know; 'show dev' or 'help'
> in their firmware a the >>> prompt?

   Nope...In fact I've never seen a KA630 that had such advanced
commands in the ROMs; earlier or otherwise.  The oldest CPU board
I've seen with those capabilities is the KA650.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL