Subject: Re: Another problem...
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/2007 21:18:38
--------------060900050201020207090003

Hey! Matt checked something in yesterday again, and now it seems to
work! -O2 passed with flying colors on my little test anyway.
Starting a full build right away. We'll see how far it can come. :-)

	johnny

Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>> Just tried your suggestion of building gcc with -O1, and no change for
>> me.
>> Tried to compile a small program of my own with -O1 and -O2 and both
>> crash with internal compiler failure.
>>
>> Are you actually having success with these patches?
>

>   I had thought so, but I was also trying several other things, and I
> may have been using a cc1 and cc1plus generated differently.
>
>   That said, I started a build yesterday with Matt's change to default
> to -O on the vax, and got to x11/bin/lbxproxy before it quit with a
> segment violation compiling lbproxy/os/connection.c.  I haven't started
> looking at that problem yet, but I did copy the usr/libexec/cc1{,plus}
> that build created to my vax.  I was able to get a large part of a tools
> build run until it quit while running makeinfo during the gcc4 build.  I
> expect the update rerun of the tools build to fail twice more while
> trying to generate a couple of .ps files, and then I will run a kernel
> build using those tools.
>
>   I suspect that if someone digs deep enough into these failures and can
> locate the (presumably) bad code generated, Matt may be able to fix it.
> I've been concentrating trying to get to the point where I can do a
> tools and kernel build on the vax, and then to try getting the
> appropiate changes pulled up to the netbsd-4 branch so that the vax will
> be usable with a 4.0 release.  Then I will probably try to dig deeper
> into the problem of building gcc with -O2.
>

> --
> Michael L. Hitch            mhitch@montana.edu
> Computer Consultant
> Information Technology Center
> Montana State University    Bozeman, MT    USA

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books

--------------060900050201020207090003

begin:vcard