Subject: Re: Another problem...
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/14/2007 21:27:20
--------------050201090709090402060001

Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>> However, the build stops before doing any real work. autoconf is
>> running through for libiberty, and when it's about time to build, the
>> config.result file is read in for parsing, and then it crashes.
>> Looking in the config.result file shows sections of NUL characters
>> some way in.
>>
>> So. Anyone else seen something like this?
>
>   I have not seen this on my system.  I've had lots of other problems,
> but not this one.

Okay. Tried it some more today, and as I suspected it does follow a pattern.

My "easy" test, which others surely could do as well:
(on the VAX)

 > cd /sys/arch/vax/vax
 > rm pmap.c
 > cvs upd pmap.c

All on the vax, and the file system is nfs-mounted from another machine.
Looking at the resulting checked out file on the VAX, data at address
0x1000-0x1fff, 0x3000-0x3fff, 0x5000-0x5fff, 0x7000-0x7fff and
0x9000-0x9fff are just NULs. The other parts of the file is just fine.
And the file really contains those NULs, as I can check the file on the
machine that is exporting the file system as well.)

This is both annoying, weird, and rather problematic for me. Can anyone
else try the same thing (exactly) as I have, to see if they can repeat it?

	Johnny

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books

--------------050201090709090402060001