Subject: Re: Shared libraries re-enabled for VAX
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/2007 11:27:01
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Matt Thomas wrote:
>> I believe the gcc codegen problems have been fixed.
>
> Whatever the problem is, it still exists.
> I noted that you checked in some new stuff for GCC, as well as the mutex
> fixes Michael posted about, Matt. Things look good when booting up, but as
> soon as I try to do something heavy on the disk, the cpu time runs up to 100%
> system time, and the system hangs.
> Something is still bad, which was introduced after the 15 of March, and
> Michael seems to have narrowed it down to something in GCC... Hmmm... Any
> ideas on how to diagnose this?

   Matt and I have been working on this over the last couple of days, and
his fix to src/gnu/dist/gcc4/gcc/config/vax/vax.c (revision 1.9) fixes the
excessive kernel time when I was doing file system writes.

   I've been running the new kernel for 15 hours now, and haven't seen any
excessive kernel time when writing files [I did several copies of the
binary/sets from several builds, and it also survived the daily and weekly
cron jobs this morning].

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant