Subject: Re: Shared libraries re-enabled for VAX
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/2007 10:32:52
--------------080302050205060102070808

Matt Thomas wrote:
> Michael L. Hitch wrote:

>>> Hmm. Might try that later. Anyway. The problem is something that
>>> happened after march 15, since my kernel from march 15 works fine.
>>
>>   It appears that the gcc changes that enabled PIC support may be to
>> blame.  I built a kernel using sources from 2007.04.01.06.00.00, but
>> using the tools from the day before.  That kernel seemed to run fine.
>> Then I rebuilt the tools and another kernel.  That kernel now exhibits
>> the problem of spending a lot of time in the kernel.  It seems to be
>> related to writing to the filesystem - that's the only time I've seen
>> the problem.
>
> I believe the gcc codegen problems have been fixed.

Whatever the problem is, it still exists.
I noted that you checked in some new stuff for GCC, as well as the mutex
fixes Michael posted about, Matt. Things look good when booting up, but
as soon as I try to do something heavy on the disk, the cpu time runs up
to 100% system time, and the system hangs.
Something is still bad, which was introduced after the 15 of March, and
Michael seems to have narrowed it down to something in GCC... Hmmm...
Any ideas on how to diagnose this?

	Johnny

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books