Subject: Re: le broken in -current on VS3100
To: Henry R. Bent <Henry.Bent@oberlin.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/03/2007 14:52:55
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

>  I've narrowed down the problem to between March 12 and March 13.  I still
> can't see what change could have caused this problem, but I think I
> know what the problem is.

   OK, the change that made the le0 device not be detected was revision
1.109 of sys/kern/kern_malloc.c.  That change was to make it use mutexes.
That change also tripped over a bug in the vax implementation of
mutex_spin_{enter,exit} that I've been looking into.

   In the meantime, a workaround is to build with LOCKDEBUG (which doesn't
include the vax-specific mutex implementations).

   That should get the network interface going, but -current (sometime
after March 24) has something that causes the kernel to spend most of its
time in the kernel.  I'm working on narrowing down when that occurred now.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant