Subject: Re: Network problems on 4000/500A
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2007 23:29:26
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:48:33 +0200
Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:

> George Harvey wrote:
[ snip ]
> > I think it is a transmit problem so I've tried reducing the NFS
> > write size to 2K and haven't had any lockups yet. However, I'm now
> > getting file corruption instead :( Building pkgtools/digest fails
> > with syntax errors during the configure stage, looking at the
> > configure file I see that it has chunks missing and is much shorter
> > than it should be. The same source, on the same server, builds with
> > no problems on my SGI Challenge S so I'm fairly confident that it's
> > not a bug on the server. I'll do some more investigating...
>
> I also have file corruption issues, and I'm using a local disk, so
> that's not NFS-related (if we're seeing the same thing that is).
> Some parts gets filled with NULs instead of the correct contents when
> files are created.

Hmm, I have no problems with local disk (CQD-223 SCSI controller) but I
put a sniffer on my network tonight and I can see that I'm getting NFS
write packets with all NULLs instead of the expected data. This is with
a simple file copy of a 200K text file from local disk to NFS mount with
a 1K NFS write size. Looking at the destination file, it is the right
size but every other 4K block has been replaced with NULLs.

It looks like I may have two problems, large writes cause the Ethernet
connection to hang, this can be demonstrated using ttcp or even ftp so
isn't a NFS problem as such. Using smaller write sizes with NFS avoids
the lockups but causes file corruption instead, which does look like a
NFS problem.

George