Subject: Re: Network problems on 4000/500A
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2007 00:14:07
>> I've also seen troubles which appear to be difficulty with
>> back-to-back packets, though they have been less well understood.
> The problems with back-to-back packets are pretty well understood,

Well, I really meant, "the problems I saw I did not investigate enough
to be confident they really were back-to-back problems, nor, if so,
what the relevant aspect of back-to-back packets was responsible".

> Or are you talking about sending back-to-back packets without the
> mandatory quiet periods between packets?

Well, as I say, I don't really know.  It was really just "some kind of
back-to-back trouble is my front-runner theory for this problem", but,
as with so many problems, I never truly got to the bottom of it.

Given the problem I saw receiving min-size packets, it wouldn't
surprise me if there were ancient Ethernet interfaces that demanded
more quiet time between packets than the spec does.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign