Subject: Re: Network problems on 4000/500A
To: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/2007 22:48:33
--------------040408000400010705000301

George Harvey wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:49:02 +0200
> Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:
>
>>If the problem is reception, then this is usually the trick you need.
>>If data transmitted to the VAX is in more segments than the receive
>>buffers, then it will basically never succeed. One or another of the
>>segments will always be lost.
>>
>>However, I think that George thought his problem was transmissions, in
>> which case this won't help. But he might be wrong, so it's worth a
>> try...
>
> I think it is a transmit problem so I've tried reducing the NFS write
> size to 2K and haven't had any lockups yet. However, I'm now getting
> file corruption instead :( Building pkgtools/digest fails with syntax
> errors during the configure stage, looking at the configure file I see
> that it has chunks missing and is much shorter than it should be. The
> same source, on the same server, builds with no problems on my SGI
> Challenge S so I'm fairly confident that it's not a bug on the server.
> I'll do some more investigating...

I also have file corruption issues, and I'm using a local disk, so
that's not NFS-related (if we're seeing the same thing that is).
Some parts gets filled with NULs instead of the correct contents when
files are created.

	Johnny

> Thanks,
> George
>

>>	Johnny
>>
>>Ken Seefried wrote:

>>>patches/workrounds > that might help?
>>>

>>>Not that I've got insight this particular problem, and this won't
>>>get to  your root cause, but my personal first dirty trick to NFS
>>>problems is to  reduce the NFS read and write block size to 4K, 2K
>>>or 1K.  Might let you  limp along until you figure out what's really
>>>wrong. Ken

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books

--------------040408000400010705000301