Subject: Netbsd 3.1 install fails with write MSCP freeze?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: todd <markleyt@compusleuth.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/09/2007 22:48:20
I have been working to restore my uVax III system and the hardware seems
to be working well. I have tested the hardware with VMS, copying
hundreds of meg back and forth between my disks without error. My
configuration includes two MSCP controlers, Emulex QD21 with one 800Meg
ESDI disk, and the second a CMD CQD-220A/M/T SCSI that I can attach many
different drives that include hard disks, CDROM, and MO drives.

I created a CD of the Netbsd 3.1 vax iso image and it boots ok (see boot
log below.)
The install starts ok, but the MSCP device driver seems to hang at
different spots during the install. If the partitions are large then it
may hang during the newfs, but most often it fails when copying the
files to the disk around 10 or 20 percent.

With one attempt where the source was a SCSI CD, and the destination was
the QD21 ESDI disk, I have been able to ^Z the install and at the prompt
can list files on the mounted CD. Any command that attempts to access
the destination disk will freeze in a device wait state forever.

Another test with the source as a SCSI CD and the destination was a SCSI
disk failed in the same way. The progress bar would stop at 10% or so,
"- stalled -", and the KB/s would just drop. I could ^Z the install and
list with ls files on the /mnt2 - CDROM, but when I tried to list files
on /targetroot the ls would just hang.

I am willing to do more testing/troubleshooting if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks

Todd
EM: markleyt at compusleuth dot com

 >> NetBSD/vax boot [1.11 Tue Oct 31 09:37:57 UTC 2006] <<
 >> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
2534488+69564=0x27be50
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 3.1 (INSTALL) #0: Tue Oct 31 10:06:11 UTC 2006

ghen@b2.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-1-RELEASE/vax/200610302053Z-
obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-1-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/INSTALL

MicroVAX 3500/3600
cpu: KA650, CVAX microcode rev 3 Firmware rev 18
total memory = 8152 KB
avail memory = 4944 KB
mainbus0 (root)
ibus0 at mainbus0
uba0 at ibus0: Q22
mtc0 at uba0 csr 174500 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at mtc0: version 5 model 3
mscpbus0: DMA burst size set to 4
mt0 at mscpbus0 drive 0: TK50
uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 770 ipl 17
mscpbus1 at uda0: version 5 model 13
mscpbus1: DMA burst size set to 4
ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RA81
uda1 at uba0 csr 160334 vec 764 ipl 17
mscpbus2 at uda1: version 6 model 13
mscpbus2: DMA burst size set to 4
ra1 at mscpbus2 drive 0: RA90
ra2 at mscpbus2 drive 1: RA81
ra3 at mscpbus2 drive 3: RRD40
qe0 at uba0 csr 174440 vec 760 ipl 17
qe0: deqna, hardware address 08:00:2b:07:fb:71
md0: internal 1536 KB image area
boot device: ra3
root on md0a dumps on md0b
root file system type: ffs