Subject: Re: DELQA not recognized on VAXstation 3200 - Solved?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: J Blaser <oldcpu@rogerwilco.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/08/2006 12:55:22
Antonio Carlini wrote:
> oldcpu@rogerwilco.org wrote:
>

>> Well, I have more news.  Without any other ideas, I pulled all the
>> boards in the system, except for the CPU, the memory, and the DELQA.
>>
>> In this configuration, I successfully netbooted NetBSD 1.5.3, and was
>> able to configure the network!
>>

> So obviously the hardware works.

Yes!  ;)  Always nice to see when working with a system that you've just
acquired, and one that hasn't been powered for more than 10 years.

>> When I put all the boards back into the backplane, positioned and
>> configured just as they were originally, again the ethernet was not
>> recognized by the install kernel.
>>

> I've missed the beginning of this thread so you may have already
> posted this, but it sounds like you have a broken grant chain
> (i.e. the box is not in a valid configuration).
>
> Can you post the config (which board is in which slot)?

Here is my card cage configuration:

1- M7620-BA : KA650-BA uVAX III CPU ->
2- M7621-AP : MS650-AA 8MB RAM      ->
3- M9047 : bus grant                | (empty)
4- M7516 : DELQA-M Ethernet         | M9047 : bus grant
5- M7169 : QDSS Base                ->
6- M7168 : QDSS 4-plane             ->
7- M7546 : TQK50-AA TK50 cntlr      | M9047 : RQDX3 MFM/Floppy cntlr
8- (empty)                          | (empty)

This system has a backplane with slots 1-3 as Q/CD and slots 4-8 as Q/Q,
so that gap in slot 3CD shouldn't matter (and doesn't).

> SHOW DEVICE at the console might also be useful (in the
> non-function config).

This is a uVAX II so, sadly, no SHOW DEVICE command is recognized.

However, based on comments from vax9000 and others, I think that I might
have a short between boards somewhere.  This is what I'll check for
next.  And then check to see that there aren't any lost jumpers, or
other CSR/vector misconfigurations.

Jared