Subject: Re: DELQA not recognized on VAXstation 3200
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: J Blaser <oldcpu@rogerwilco.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/07/2006 16:34:02
ragge@ludd.luth.se wrote:
>> I've just netbooted NetBSD onto a VAXstation 3200 (KA-650) with 5MB RAM and
>> DELQA.  The installation kernel loads and boots, but apparently doesn't detect
>> any network controllers.  When I choose the Configure Network option in the
>> sysinst Utilities menu, it complains that it could not find a network controller
>> in the system.  Of course, the DELQA is there, and working, since it just did
>> the initial MOP/BOOTP/NFS load of the bootloader and the installation kernel
>> itself in the first place.
>>

> Which address is the DELQA strapped at?
> What do SHOW DEV says?
>
> -- Ragge

I double-checked that the DELQA is at the default address of 0174440.
So is the DEQNA.

Here is my card cage configuration:

1- M7620-BA : KA650-BA uVAX III CPU ->
2- M7621-AP : MS650-AA 8MB RAM      ->
3- M9047 : bus grant                | (empty)
4- M7516 : DELQA-M Ethernet         | M9047 : bus grant
5- M7169 : QDSS Base                ->
6- M7168 : QDSS 4-plane             ->
7- M7546 : TQK50-AA TK50 cntlr      | M9047 : RQDX3 MFM/Floppy cntlr
8- (empty)                          | (empty)

I am just using a VT100 on the console port as my terminal.  Nothing is
connected to the QDSS at this point.

I have a RD54 on the RQDX3.

As for the software side:

The kernel has to have the correct driver already...I had just used
exactly the same files to netboot a uVAX I and a VAXstation 3100.  For
the BOOTP and NFS config I'm using softlinked file names (based on
ethernet addresses), that point to a single self-same file on the boot
server.  So I know that the software is working, at least on other
machines.  (I should point out that for these two systems I used the
1.5.3 bootloader and install kernel.  They just worked, so I never
fiddled with other versions of the install kernel.)

Q: While trying out other install kernel versions (1.6.2, 2.0, 3.0.1) I
was still using the 1.5.3 bootloader.  That's shouldn't make any
difference, right?

Here is a sample of the output from the kernel startup:

Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 3.0.1 (INSTALL) #0: Fri Jul 14 04:46:15 UTC 2006

builds@pb:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-1-RELEASE/vax/200607131826Z-obj/hoL

MicroVAX 3500/3600
cpu: KA650, CVAX microcode rev 3 Firmware rev 18
total memory = 8152 KB
avail memory = 4944 KB
mainbus0 (root)
ibus0 at mainbus0
uba0 at ibus0: Q22
mtc0 at uba0 csr 174500 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at mtc0mscpbus0: can't init, controller hung
md0: internal 1536 KB image area
boot device: <unknown>
root on md0a dumps on md0b
root file system type: ffs
erase ^?, werase ^W, kill ^U, intr ^C

and then sysinst starts.  There's no indication that the network device
is found.

SHOW DEV produces an error, some kind of illegal command.message that I
didn't note down.  This system is too old to support this console
command, I guess.

However, a SHOW ETHERNET does produce the MAC address:
 >>>SHOW ETHERNET
08 00 2B 03 6D D6

But, of course, we already know that the boot rom can see the ethernet,
otherwise the bootloader and kernel wouldn't be loaded.  But that part
works fine.

I'm at a loss on what I might do next.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jared